Part One – Keter
Chapter Two – “Wee haue divers curious Clocks”
Otherwise known as Trains, Planes, and Automobiles, oh my!
So many brand and trademark names.None meant any to me, nor did they bring up any images in my head. Except for the bicycles (velocipedes) that were described as having “huge art-nouveau wheels.” Those brought the familiar pennyfarthing to mind.
So I quickly whipped up a slideshow of 7 slides that illustrate the six cars mentioned in our protagonist’s search for a hiding place. (Does he have a name yet? I don’t think we know it yet.)
Words/terms looked up:
- Gramme – not 100% positive, but I believe this passage, “your back protected by a great stone statue of Gramme,” refers to Zénobe Gramme, electrical engineer.
- Madurodam – I picked up from context that this was an amusement park, but looking this up was fun: https://www.madurodam.nl/en/ Anyone want to go to the Netherlands?
- Empedocles – (“A vulcanologist does not burn like Empedocles.”) Wikipedia tells me that Diogenes Laërtius records the legend that Empedocles died by throwing himself into Mount Etna in Sicily
- “Frazer did not flee, hounded, into the wood of Nemi.” – Refers to James George Frazer and his study of ancient myths, especially the legend of the rex Nemorensis – recorded in The Golden Bough.
- Lavoisier’s mirrors – Antoine Lavoisier was an interesting guy to read about. His work with the Law of Mass Conservation was so poetic: “Nothing is lost, nothing is created, everything is transformed.”
- catoptric – of or relating to a mirror, a reflector, or reflection.
- alembic – an alchemical still consisting of two vessels connected by a tube, used for distilling chemicals.
- eolopile – A device containing a usually spherical chamber or container, in which steam is heated and ejected through one or more narrow tubes to create propulsion or torque.
- demiurge – an artisan-like figure responsible for the fashioning and maintenance of the physical universe.
- balneum mariae – also known as a bain-marie, or double boiler (like how we melt chocolate!) http://www.paranormal-encyclopedia.com/b/balneum-mariae/ records the alchemic link
- acajou – mahogany